This a basic fried dough leavened with yeast and flavored with nigella seeds, deep fried until golden puffed up and airy inside.
They are ideal for a snack any time of the day, and during Ramadan at iftar time with your dates. You can find other version of Khamiir here.
- 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose plain flour
- 1 cup milk/water
- 2 tablespoons of butter/oil/ghee
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- oil for frying
- more flour for kneeding
- In a bowl add the flour yeast, sugar, nigella seeds and salt, rub the butter untill the mixture resembles bread cumbs, Gradually add enough water or milk to form a dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and leave in a warm place until it doubled in size.
- Knead the dough and roll on a floured surface, cut the dough in to various shapes with a sharp knife.
- Deep-fry in batches until golden on both sides, turning them once, drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with dates and tea.