Satisfy your sweet tooth with this pineapple upside-down cake, bursting with cardamom flavor, it is best if you grind the cardamom just before using in your recipe, that way you it is more fragrant.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 20 oz/ 567 can pineapple slices
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wholewheat flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit .
- Generously butter a 10-inch dish and arrange the pineapple in the dish about 8 slices.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small pan and cook until it turns gold, don’t stir only swirl.
- Pour over the pineapple slices, cover evenly.
- In a large bowl beat the butter add the sugar and beat light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs beating after each addition..
- Add the buttermilk, cardamom, vanilla, beat just until blended, add the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Spoon the batter over pineapple topping spread evenly, bake in the preheated oven about 45 or until it is cooked in the middle.
- Cool the cake for 5 minutes, invert the cake into a flat plate.
- Serve warm or room temperature.