Plain rice doesn’t have to be so plain, this Somali rice recipe it is easy to prepare and most all it is a wonderful side dish with full off flavor and color, garnished with crispy fried onions and raisins.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons ghee/oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 chicken cube
- Rinse the rice well in cold water until most of the starch is removed.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat, and sauté the onions until brown.
- Add salt, pepper, cardamom, cinnamon and the cumin and cook until the onions are brown. Add the drained rice and stir for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water and chicken cube and stir in and cover, bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat.
- Continue to cook gently on a low heat until the rice is tender about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon food coloring
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 small onion, sliced
- heat the oil over medium heat, add the onion and fry until nice and brown. Add the raisins and cook untill they puff up.
- Add this mixture over rice, add the food coloring on one side.
- Gently fluff the rice with a fork and serve.