Surbiyaan is a popular Somali rice dish and it is every ones favorite. In this recipe I have used chicken paired with basmati rice, which is a must for this recipe. The rice is soaked, and boiled with water half way. Then the rice finished cooking with the chicken sauce which includes blend of spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, cloves, which give the dish an amazing flavor and fragrant.Then it is garnished with sauteed onion and raisin.
- 6 pieces chicken (Thighs & Legs )
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 black cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 peppercorn
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin, powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger, powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika/red pepper
- 2 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 lemon
- two medium tomatoes, chopped
Clean and soak the rice with water and let it rest of 30 minutes.
Fry the chicken with the oil until brown, add cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon sticks, cloves, pepper corn.
Add onions saute until brown then add garlic add tomatoes .
Add the yogurt when tomatoes are tender.
Then add the juice of a lemon, cumin, ginger, coriander, paprika and the cilantro.
Let it simmer while covered on a medium heat until boil and then lower the heat for 10- 15 minutes.
In another saucepan add the rice in boiling water cook until the rice is half done.
Drain and add the rice to the chicken sauce and cook until the rice is tender on a medium heat covered, add the garnish.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon food coloring
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 onion, sliced
- Heat the oil over medium heat, add the onion and fry until nice and brown. Add the raisins and cook until they puff up.
- Add this mixture over rice, add the food coloring on one side.