Tuna Sambusa triangular shaped stuffed pastry, filled with tuna and vegetable mixture, wrapped with home made pastry dough deep fried until golden.
for the Sambusa filling
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans of tuna, drained
- 1 tablespoon cilantro,chopped
- 1 large potato, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato-paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat the oil in a skillet , Sautee onion until soft about 2 minutes, add garlic and potatoes,tuna, tomato paste and the spices stir gently to combine for 3 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, covered until potatoes are tender add little water if needed. Remove from heat add the cilantro/coriander leaves, and mix until combined.
Let the filling cool completely, before assembling.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoon oil
- water 3/4 – 1 cup
In a bowl add the flour and oil add warm water a little at a time to make pliable dough.
knead the dough for 5 minutes on floured surface until the dough is smooth.
Cover and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Divide the dough in to 12 portions, roll each out 8 inch, then cut each circle in half.
- Take on piece and fold like cone and seal the two edges with a little water or a flour paste (few tablespoon of water and flour mixed).
- Fill with the tuna filling, seal the top edges with water or flour-water mixture.
then pinch making sure there are no holes, repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Deep fry until golden, serve warm.